Sunday, August 30, 2009

another busy weekend

Today I went on my first bike ride around the island (sorry mom...). The road was pretty bumpy and I felt like I was bouncing around like a pinball, but I didn't really mind. It gave me a chance to be alone with my thoughts. Yesterday when I was reading my Bible, I came across a passage in Psalms. It said, "For He will deliver the needy who cry out, the afflicted who have no one to help. He will take pity on the weak and the needy and save the needy from death. He will rescue them from oppression and violence, for precious is their blood in his sight."(Psalms 72:12-14). The part that struck me the most was the very end "...for precious is their blood in his sight." As a society, how often do we look at the needy and regard them as precious. Instead, it seems that the needy are pushed aside and forgotten. Instead of addressing the problem, our society tends to turn its head and look the other way. But God sees their value--He understands their importance. In His eyes they are viewed as precious. In a world consumed by greed, it's critical to stop and address those who are suffering, instead of pretending they don't exist.

This morning in Sunday school, the lesson was on fasting. The leader of the group made a comment about how blessed they were that they had food to eat. She went on to talk about those who are suffering to such an extreme that they aren't sure where their next meal will come from. This idea is still one that's hard for me to handle. Even though I'm in a place where the people don't have much, they are still able to cook meals on a daily basis and most of the time aren't wondering how they will survive from one day to the next. I can't begin to imagine what it would be like to live in such poverty that made it nearly impossible to survive. I'm sure that as I continue on this journey and encounter different towns throughout Honduras that I will come face to face with this reality. Being in a place like this constantly reminds me of how blessed I am and how much God has given me.

This past weekend I was able to spend a lot of time with the people from this community. I attended Bible study in someones home and helped out with kids club on Thursday afternoon. On Friday, I spent the day observing different classrooms in the school across the street from my house. School here is much different than school in the States. There are no shiny, new workbooks and laminated na
me tags on individual desks. Instead, the kids pile into a semi-chaotic, non-air conditioned room and copy their lessons into beat up notebooks. Some of the teachers shout at the kids to get their attention, which works about half of the time. Friday night was youth group for the church. Right before it was about to start, the power went out in town. This happens quite a bit, since there is a limited amount of power on the island. So, instead of cancelling service, we had a bonfire outside the youth center. There was a time of music and a few people gave their testimony. Afterwards we all played games around the fire. Half the time I had no idea what was going on, but I would catch on after a while. Even though it was difficult to understand at times, it was still a lot of fun and it gave me a chance to connect with the youth on a different level. Yesterday was another busy day spent driving around the island to run different errands. The power went out again, so Sarah and I had to make our dinner in the dark. Living here is definitely different, but I'm really enjoying the experience. I'm supposed to sing tonight at church, so let's hope the power stays on!

4 comments:

  1. What kind of food do you eat over there? Do they send you American food or do you have to buy food over there? How did your meal turn out that you cooked in the dark? Isure hope you are reading your comments section. How long will you be staying in one place? Enough questions for now, just know that we love you very much, and we are continuing to pray for you. Love ya' Mamma & Pappa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys:) I've been staying with a missionary host, so she makes food for us. There is a lot of food here that's shipped over from America, so I havn't had to eat too much non-American food. I did eat at a cookout yesterday though and the food was really good.
    Last night I guess we weren't completly in the dark because we had candles, so the meal turned out pretty good! I'll be here until September 8 and then I fly to Tegucigalpa. Once I get there I'll have a more detailed schedule of where I will be and for how long.
    Thanks for the prayers! I love you both very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI MY DARLIN'. SURE DO MISS YOU. PAW PAW AND I HAVE BEEN READING YOUR LETTERS AND ARE KEEPING UP WITH YOUR EVENTS. I MUST SAY YOUR WRITING ARE SO WONDERFUL THAT WE CAN ALMOST INVISION BEING THERE WITH YOU. WE ARE SO PROUDE OF YOU AND ARE PRAYING THAT THE LORD WILL GRANT YOU MANY WONDERFUL EXPERIENCES WHILE YOU ARE SERVING IN HIS MISSION.I CAN ONLY IMAGINE HOW MUCH YOU ARE LEARNING. MAYBE WHEN YOU GET HOME YOU CAN TEACH ME SOME OF THEIR NATIVE LANGUAGE. MY SPANISH IS A LITTLE RUSTY.
    MY THE LORD BLESS AND KEEP YOU . ALL OUR LOVE.
    NAY NAY AND PAW PAW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI DARLIN'
    TODAY IS SEPT.1ST AND IT IS A VERY NICE COOL DAY HERE IN VA. HOPE THAT YOU ARE STAYING COOL. HAVE YOU HAD MANY SPANISH DISHES? DO THEY FIX THINGS LIKE AROZE CON PLOUO,( RICE WITH CHICKEN)? EXCUSE THE SPELLING. I FIXED THE MEXICIAN CASSAROLE FOR THE WEEKEND AND THOUGHT ABOUT YOU. PAW PAW IS GOING TO HAVE ANOTHER BACK OPERATION ON THE 9TH OF THIS MONTH, KEEP HIM IN YOUR PRAYERS PLEASE.
    I ENJOYED YOUR WRITING ON THE CHILDREN,IT SEEMS LIKE THE CHILDREN KNOW NO FEAR OF THEIR SURROUNDINGS, WHICH IS WONDERFUL. IF ONLY THE WORLD WERE THE SAME. THERE ARE NOT MANY PLACES LEFT WHERE LIFE SEEMS SO SIMPLE THAT YOU CAN ENJOY THE WONDERFUL SURROUNDING AND ENJOY THE BEAUTY THAT THE LORD HAS PROVIDED FOR US. YOU ARE EXPERIENCING A WONDERFUL LIFE.KEEP THE LETTERS COMING .WE SO LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING ABOUT YOUR ADVENTURES. WE LOVE YOU.
    NAY NAY AND PAW PAW

    ReplyDelete