Monday, August 24, 2009

If only every Monday could be like this

This past weekend was filled with water taxi rides, Honduran food on the beach and church meetings with the Garifuna people of Punta Gorda. Saturday night I was able to spend time with the kids of the church during a marriage seminar for the adults. Bob and Kathy Owen from La Esperanza were the guest speakers and they led several seminar sessions for the congregation. The kids here are beautiful--I love spending time with them. We were able to draw together and play simple games. I also read them a book in Spanish, and they didn't hesitate to correct me when I couldn't pronounce certain words. It's a little humbling to be corrected by seven year olds.

Worship service takes place here on Sunday night and the church was packed. We sang a couple of songs, one in Garifuna, the native language of the Garifuna people. The atmosphere during service was hectic with children crying and crawling around on the floor. Although I would have enjoyed watching them, there were too many there to handle.

After a rather busy weekend, we decided to have a play day at the beach today. We drove to the West end of the island and I was able to see the port where my cruise ship came in last November. It was a strange feeling to be passing by the place where I first felt called to come here. The beach we went to was gorgeous with white sand and crystal clear water. We went snorkeling right off the shore and were able to see brightly colored tropical fish everywhere we looked. We were even lucky enough to see a few sea turtles. The experience was incredible and reminded me once again of God's creativity. Only someone as omnipotent at Him could create a place with so much beauty. He truly is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment